A chin-chin factory was destroyed on Tuesday amongst some other buildings in Balogun and Dosummu market.
It was gathered the factory belonged to Didaskalos Vado Ventures.
A speculation by the witnesses of the incident said an electric spark was responsible for the factory inferno, while the cause of the fire
Counting her loss, a worker in the razed building, one Enaholo said the structure had been similarly gutted in the past, adding that the cause of Tuesday’s inferno had yet to be ascertained.
She said, “I don’t know how the fire started, but my colleague called me saying our director said all of us should assemble in front of the plaza, only for me to see our plaza burning. I was told that the fire started around 9am and the Lagos State Fire Service, Union Bank’s firefighters and other agencies have been trying to extinguish the fire but they have not been successful.
“Both the front and back of the plaza are burning and we are surprised to see this kind of inferno. Two years ago, the same thing happened.”
When contacted, the General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Oluwafemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said men of the agency and officials of other agencies had curtailed the inferno.
Oke-Osanyintolu stated, “There was a fire outbreak at No. 43 Martins Street, opposite the Great Nigeria House, Onipede, Central Business District. LASEMA activated an emergency response plan. All the key stakeholders in emergency management are on the ground.
“Also, there was another fire incident, this time at the Dosunmu Market, adjacent Mandilas on the Lagos Island. All stakeholders are on top of the situation to ensure that losses are kept to minimal level.
“The causes of the fire incidents have yet to be ascertained. LASEMA, the fire service and other stakeholders have intervened and have brought the situation under control.”